It was a beautiful, dignified service.
We heard stirring eulogies from her husband, her sister, her mother-in-law, her friend Fairlie and her 9yo daughter.
Her distraught sister, with whom she shared a special bond, and who was with her right through her illness and at at her deathbed spoke so beautifully and read out this poem:
I read of a man who stood to speak, at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on this tombstone from beginning ….to the end.
He noted that first came his date of birth and spoke the following with tears.
But he said what mattered most of all, was the dash in between those years.
For the dash represents, all the time he spent alive on earth.
And how only those who loved him know what that little line is worth.
For it matters not, how much we own; the cars, the house, the cash, what matters most is how we live and love and how we spend our dash…
So think about this long and hard. Are there things you’d like to change?
For you never know how much time is left, that can still be rearranged.
If we could just slow down enough, to consider what is true and real.
And always try to understand, the way other people feel.
And be less quick to anger, and show appreciation more,
and love the people in our lives like we’ve never loved before.
If we treat each other with respect, and more often wear a smile…
Remembering that this special dash might only last a little while.
So, when your eulogy is being read, with your life’s actions to rehash
would you be proud of the things they say and how your spent your dash?
By Linda Ellis
Afterwards we met up at a Melbourne icon to celebrate her life. Her daughter was surrounded by close friends
and by her classmates.
Just as her mother would've wanted.
Next week is Brain Tumour Awareness Week.

13 comments:
Blessings.
Very sad.
I think her friends' loving memories will always keep her alive. xx
It was truly a lovely tribute to her.
I thank you deeply for sharing this.
Thank you M.
Wow. What a beautiful honouring of a wonderful life.
Too sad.
Thanks M.
Tears down my cheeks - going back to hug my boys again - sending hug to you - le
It seems a beautifully fitting farewell.
Thank you for allowing me to feel I was there to say goodbye. I was truly there in spirit.
Something small coming to you via fairlie very soon.
xx
What a beautiful tribute.
I chose to read "The Dash" at my fathers funeral - it really says a lot about life and the choices we make.
I didn't know this blogger but she has touched me deeply.I am sorry for the loss of your friend.
An online friend of mine passed away a few months after giving birth to her first child, she had been in coma since he was 8 days old.I never got to meet her except after her coma.
This is just so very sad.
M I am so sad for you - what a touching post for a very special lady x
Post a Comment